As life slowly begins to get back to a pre-pandemic normal, summer activities and events are beginning to take shape in the Cedar Rapids area.
The state of Iowa has lifted its mask mandate, but some organizations may still require or suggest mask wearing. Be sure to call ahead if youâ€™re unsure of requirements.
For the music and arts enthusiast:
Rock the Block
- Where: NewBo City Market. 1100 3rd St. SE, Cedar Rapids
- When: Every Friday night through September from 6:00 â€“ 8:00 p.m.
- Details: This is a free eventâ€”enjoyÂ food and beverages from vendors at the Market and support our local small businesses.
- Follow NewBo City Marketâ€™s Facebook page for all the details and updates.
Music in the Courtyard
- Where: Brucemore. 2160 Linden Drive SE, Cedar Rapids
- When: July 30/31; August 6/7; August 12/13/14; August 19/20/21
- Details: Titles and talents to be announced.
- Brucemoreâ€™s website will have more information as it becomes available.
For the sports and recreation enthusiast:
Cedar Rapids Kernels Baseball
- Where: Veterans Memorial Stadium. 950 Rockford Road SW, Cedar Rapids
- When: Regular season runs now through September.
- Details: Check in with the Kernels website for fun promotions and themed nights at the ballpark.
- See the schedule.
Five Seasons Ski Team Performances
- Where: Ellis Park. 2021 Ellis Blvd. NW, Cedar Rapids (across from Ellis Pool).
- When: Every Thursday night through Labor Day.
- Details: The team also performs at various events and festivals throughout the area.
- Learn more.
Racing at Hawkeye Downs
- Where: Hawkeye Downs Speedway. 4400 6th Street SW, Cedar Rapids.
- When: Every Friday night throughout the summer.
- Details: Hawkeye Downs has a long history of short track racing and hosts a range of events and series.
- See the schedule.
For the shopper:
Downtown Farmersâ€™ Market
- Where: Downtown Cedar Rapids.
- When: Every 1st and 3rd Saturday from June 19th through October 2nd from 7:30 a.m. â€“ 12:00 p.m.
- Tip: BYOBâ€”bring your own bags! Carts are available for rent to transport your items to your vehicle.
- Learn more about vendors and see an interactive market map on the website.
Uptown Marion Market
- Where: Corner of 8th Ave. and 12th Street, Marion.
- When: June 12, July 10, August 14, from 8:00 a.m. â€“ 12:00 p.m.
- Details: Browse goods from local vendors, grab a bite to eat, and enjoy live entertainment.
- See more information.
For when itâ€™s just too hot to be outside:
Cedar Rapids Museum of Art
- Where: 410 3rd Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids.
- When: Open every day except Monday. See website for hours and admission.
- From collections and exhibits to special events and classes, there is something for everyone.
The History Center
- Where: Douglas Mansion: 800 2nd Ave SE, Cedar Rapids.
- When: Open Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. â€“ 4:00 p.m.
- Details: Walking tours, band concerts and extensive collections of historical items for hours of educational and entertaining fun.
- Visit The History Center website for more information.